Thursday, July 30, 2009

Munich - city






July 29, 2009
Serre Chevalier

We have just returned to Serre Che from 5 glorious days in Munich and I had a chance to catch up with my heart, which I left there in 1992. The Brada family lived in Munich twice : for 6 months in 1984 and for a full year in 1991-1992. Both times were for Joe’s sabbatical from ASU, which was for the purpose of rest and research. He did the R&R part, the girls attended school …. and I played.
The first time we got to know the area quite well, made friends, fell in love with the city and its surroundings. The second time produced even deeper love. I was invited by a friend whom I met the first time there to sing in her choir and that experience was a little slice of heaven! There I made other friends, one of whom now lives in the Phoenix area and another is the mother of Katrin, whom we visited in Konstanz in early July.
Therefore, it is necessary to return from time to time to visit– and for me to catch up with my heart! This visit offered me the opportunity to spend one night in central Munich (die Altstadt) on my own while Joe attended a meeting in Regensburg – 1 hour away by train. The friends with whom we were to stay were busy until the following morning and so I walked the city and wandered in the lovely parks and rode the subway and did a bit of shopping and absorbed the sights and sounds that are Munich and that I came to love many years ago. This is not really Joe’s cup of tea, therefore the timing was excellent. The city photos here are as follows: Karlzplatz and one of the four gates to the inner city; Frauenkirche (Frauen = Madonna); Marienplatz; the Rathaus (City Hall) with its famous Glockenspiel in the tower; and the Botanical Garden, where I soaked up not only the park itself and the Summer weather, but also engaged in people-watching, which I enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment